Avocado Toast: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
When we decided to include a food section in The Journal, we started thinking back to some of our favorite recipes. We wanted to kick things off with something that was easy to cook when car camping, while also being a great meal to make at home. Within minutes, Larry and I looked at each other and in unison shouted “AVOCADO TOAST!”
We created this meal a couple of months ago. To be specific, it was back in May while on a 600 mile, 4-day road trip through Colorado in our friend’s Dodge Sprinter van...but that’s a whole other story we’ll share in a later post!
Going back to Avocado Toast- Our original recipe included rosemary sourdough bread (A-MAY-ZING), but really any sourdough or your favorite fresh bread will work. I also included a couple variations of eggs. We prefer soft boiled, but you could do a hard-boil or poached too!
It has become a staple in our house, probably on the weekend brunch menu a couple of times a month. We hope you love it! If you have any of your own variations or questions on this recipe, let us know in the comments!!
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- Two ½-1” thick slices of fresh Sourdough bread (or bread of choice)
- 1 large or 1.5 small avocados, smashed
- Juice of ½ lime
- 4 medium radishes, sliced into small bite-sized pieces
- Large handful arugula
- 2 large organic/free range eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (evoo) - enough to drizzle
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Garlic salt, or to taste
- Start by bringing 1” of water in a small saucepan to a boil
- Once boiling, gently place your two eggs in the pan; cover and set timer based on your choice of egg doneness:
- 6 minutes 30 seconds for soft boiled
- 7-8 minutes for hard boiled
While the water heats and eggs cook:
- In a small bowl, smash the avocados and mix with fresh lime juice and pinch of salt & pepper then set aside (we like to lightly smash so there are still some chunks of avocado)
- Slice radishes and place in a small-medium bowl with the handful of arugula
- Over the radish/arugula mixture, drizzle a light coating of EVOO and pinch of garlic salt and lightly mix together
- When egg timer goes off, drain water and remove eggs. If you have access to a sink, run the eggs over cold water for 30 seconds to stop to the cooking process. If no sink, just let sit in a cool spot or place in a bowl with cool/cold water. Once eggs are cooled, peel the shell and set them aside
- Toast the 2 slices of sourdough bread until lightly browned
- If camping, this can be done over the fire, on grill grates or on a pan!
- Place each piece of toast on its own plate
- Spread a thick layer of smashed avocado over each slice of toast
- Gently slide each egg in half (long-ways), careful not to lose the soft yolk and lay over the avocado - yolk facing up. Each slice of toast gets an egg
- Place half of the radish & greens mixture over each of the toasts
- Pick up fork and knife and dig in!
Optional additions/substitutions: Drizzle Cholula or other hot sauce for a little spice. For a vegan option, you can forego the egg. Replace radish and arugula for your favorite veggies/greens.